LINES ǀ CURVES ǀ or Vice Versa
Presentation of LINES ǀ CURVES ǀ or Vice Versa at the School of Fine Arts in the context of the 10th Athens Video Dance Festival and the Performance Lab with Ioannis Karounis.
[“It is the lines and the direction that can reveal our transparent, spiral nature.” The technique as a tool for capturing – finding hidden meanings. Art as a connecting means that silently carries these concepts. ]
A few words about the newly established performance
“The project was based on the diptych technique – method of theatrical training and art – creative process. The backdrop, a white wall with 4 black lines, two horizontal to the ground and 2 perpendicular to it, and the surrounding area. The action began with the preparation of the space. Then followed the realization of the personal method of artistic training, with the various techniques that I include in it. Gradually, it evolved into a documentary event, or performance, which included the use of objects and interaction with the audience. At the end of the action, the dividing lines that usually exist between stage – general exhibition space, performer – audience and technique – performance, did not exist. Or they were not perceived.
We are going through a period where demystification and revelation have become very popular with people. Tutorials, clever ideas and solutions of all kinds, “behind the scenes” shows, “how to do it” questions and answers, are just a few examples of our daily searches and meetings on the internet. In this way, we often passively expose ourselves to an ocean of information, where their processing and practical application is often omitted. Regardless of the effect that this phenomenon has on our existence, there seems to be a need within us to be present as spectators in a wide range of processes that precede the final result – product. We are curious about the unfamiliar and we feel awe of what is hidden behind the obvious. We are fascinated by the unknown and that pleases us. While many times we look for it to equate it with the planned daily life and to feel a sense of satisfaction.
Listening to this need, I decided to share with the public selected pieces of my preparation as a performer, which I use for my artistic training (maintenance and progress of artistic tools), for the development of the creative, research and educational process but also as a warm-up. before the start of a show. In addition, the decision to exhibit this stage of the artistic process was another element. The preparation – preparation of an artist of visual arts is an experiential process that empowers the trainee and brings to the surface hidden aspects of himself, while at the same time revealing to him consciously or invisibly the laws that govern the world.
Through the revelation of this stage, in the performance “LINES ǀ CURVES ǀ or Vice Versa” I want to give the viewer the opportunity to experience a process – performance, which, unlike our time, is not reassured in ready-made answers, it evolves by answering unique to every old or new question and unexpected event. Without a script or expectation, the project aims to create a meaningful, non-verbal dialogue between player and viewer, reminding the latter that the greatest component of art is observation and the highest art form is life. ”
You can watch the trailer of the presentation here.
Remarks – Notes of the performer
- The curved motion of objects is the one that allows meetings and relationships to occur between them or in other words to create a common course.
- The curved motion of objects enables the management (and not treatment) of these situations.
- In addition, objects that move in a curve, have the ability to maintain an independent, desirable course in space and time. At the same time, however, in an unexpected, “violent” encounter with an object or event, they are more likely to enter and exit it smoothly, either by acquiring a common path with the object-event or by choosing to walk through the empty space created in relation to this.
- The straight lines of an object that is in a stop or motion, as well as the movements that erase lines define a precise – clear direction and direction in space.
- Unlike movements and objects that draw straight lines, curved movements have multiple dynamics within space, as they extend in different directions.
- The motion of an object can only be determined as a function of a fixed point.